· Experiment. Don’t specialize too early, so you have more experience and you’ll have more opportunities.
· Get a broad CV.
· Internships gets you places.
· Learn economics, history & geopolitical issues.
· Be able to communicate.
· Believe in something. Nobody was ever remembered in history for being a nice guy but for their set of ideas. Your ideas get you remembered. Don’t bother get into this field if you don’t wanna change something, Have a sense of what you want to achieve and STICK WITH IT. The times I regretted it most were when I compromised my ideas to please others.
· There’s too much process in foreign policy so be one of the people who wants results instead of processes.
· Be courageous. Put forward ideas that are challenging to the status quo.
· Learn languages.
· Follow your own interest (do what you believe).
· Support your colleagues & work with a team mindset.
· Now some places that didn’t get the attention they needed in the cold war are getting more attention now, so foreign policy is getting more interesting.